Is Breast Reduction Surgery Right For Me?
It’s not easy to decide to undergo breast reduction surgery. However, often the benefits of breast reduction surgery outweigh the downsides like needing time off of work to recover or simply needing to have surgery. Our hope is to lay out the pros and cons of undergoing cosmetic surgery to help you decide whether you want to consider pursuing breast reduction at J. Sweat Plastic Surgery.
How Do I Know I Need A Breast Reduction?
Several different signs indicate you might need to have breast reduction surgery. If your breasts cause discomfort in any way, most commonly with shoulder grooves from bra straps or chronic neck or back pain, it is worth looking into whether or not you could benefit from this procedure. If this applies to you, a breast reduction surgery can make a huge difference in your life by allowing you to wear the clothes you truly want to, eliminating pain, and bringing your body into a more harmonious physical proportion.
Benefits of Breast Reduction
Although we know everyone looking into breast reduction has different motivations and goals from surgery, the generally experienced benefits following this procedure include:
- Easier to perform physical activity
- Less pain and discomfort in the breasts, shoulders, and neck area
- Better social life, not having to worry about embarrassment or discomfort when in public
- Better self-esteem
- It is easier to find clothing that fits appropriately
- Easier to move around
- Less strain on the back, neck, and shoulders
- Ease to sleep with minor disturbance from their breasts
- Improved appearance of the figure with better proportions between upper and lower body size
Potential Risks of Breast Reduction Surgery
As with all medical procedures, there is the potential of risks developing either shortly after the procedure or in the long term. Dr. Sweat encourages all patients to be well informed of both the benefits and the risks and side effects prior to committing to a cosmetic surgery procedure. Risks of breast reduction procedures include:
- The need to have multiple procedures if the result is not satisfactory after one surgery. This increases total costs, downtime, and the timeline for your final results to appear.
- Physical limitations while you wait for your body to heal after the surgery. For example, it might not be possible for you to participate in activities for several weeks following your procedure.
- Scar tissue formation in the breast region. This can lead to pain or discomfort around the incision site if too much tension is put onto these scars during the recovery process, causing them not to heal in an ideal manner. This can also lead to deformation or less-than-ideal results that could require additional surgery to correct them.
- Excessive bleeding during the operation. Bleeding is a risk of all invasive surgeries, and could complicate the procedure as well as the healing process.
Breast Reduction in Sacramento, CA
Breast reduction surgery is a cosmetic procedure that will give you many benefits in your life, but it’s not suitable for everyone. Make sure that you know the risks involved and discuss these with Dr. Jeffrey Sweat at J. Sweat Plastic Surgery before going ahead with this surgical procedure that can give you an enhanced lifestyle. Start the conversation about breast reduction by calling our office or contacting us online today.